Sunday, May 22, 2011

Last Blog Portfolio of the year!

The end of the year is here and this is my last blog portfolio for this school year. The links below will lead you to all the blogs assigned this quarter, and its basically poetry! Poetry is really really interesting, and I hope you find my blogs interesting and insightful as well (And I got to write a poem!) Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment. :)


1. Coverage:
Think culture first!

The Harlem Dancer

Unconscious (Poem)

If this was my poetry exam, I would...

Wanda Why Aren't You Dead

Carpet-weavers, Morocco (Practice Commentary)

Muliebrity



2. Depth:
If this was my poetry exam, I would...
This is a practice commentary we did in class, but that we could expand after reading an essay by Camille Puglia. It's a commentary on "Old Pond" by Gary Synder, a poem that describes the vulnerability of man amongst the immensity of nature. The evolution of my commentary is evident: it went from being simple bullet points that focused merely on observation, to a great deal of observation. 


3. Discussion:
Think culture first!
This is a response to Baraka's essay "Expressive Language". My blog post discussed how culture affected the written word, especially in the arts and social sciences. Wesley and Nina commented and asked several questions, which made me realize that Baraka's essay went beyond that. 


4. Interaction:
Wanda Why Aren't You Dead
This is a practice commentary on the poem "Wanda Why Aren't You Dead" by Wanda Coleman. It analyzes three features of the poem: speaker, diction and sound, in order to understand the theme of the poem. Reading Adrienne and Pooja's commentaries I could develop a little more my ideas on sound and form, which I think come together in this poem. I added them to my post in green.


5. Xenoblogging:
http://whamiltonthegreat.blogspot.com/2011/05/expressive-language-is-expressive-as.html
This category will redirect you to Wesley's blog post "Expressive Language is Expressive and this is Redundant". I commented on his blog after reading his and Julie's responses to Baraka's essay. I tried to make Wesley develop a little his ideas, as well as linking him to Julie's blog, because they both mentioned the same idea of "stereotypes" but interpreted differently. 


6. Wildcard:
Carpet-weavers, Morocco (Practice Commentary)

Muliebrity
This category will lead you to two blogs I wrote. The first one is a practice commentary on "Carpet-weavers, Morocco" by Carol Rumens, which I thought was a great opportunity to practice for the final exam. The second one is the poem "Muliebrity" by Sujata Bhatt. What I really like about both posts is that they both talk about child labor in third world countries, and as a reader I can gain perspective of it. I personally really like "Muliebrity" because I feel so connected to it after living for almost a year in India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment